[Lazarus] debugger feature request created

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 13:15:22 CEST 2009

Martin schrieb:

>> Like ABorka told me in a private email. Once Embarcadero brings out
>> 64bit support and cross-platform compiler (latter is what they are
>> working on now), then Lazarus will loose a large appeal from Delphi
>> developers. At the moment FPC and Lazarus offers features Delphi
>> doesn't have, but not the critical features which will allow them to
>> switch to Lazarus permanently.

Right, but I doubt that Delphi will become multi-platform
multi-widgetset really soon. Unless they learn from the Lazarus
implementation ;-)

> Well this is because no one is getting paid for working on Lazarus. So
> manpower is an issue.

About the same for Delphi, their developers cost money, which has to be
earned soon. The discussion about Delphi pricing, Explorer versions etc.
reveals the future separation between Delphi and Lazarus users.

> Anyway no one has denied that features are missing. As for debugging
> there is a dis-consent about the wording or extend that those missing
> feature have (at least between me and you (Graeme).  But  not about the
> fact that it would be nice (essential for some) to have.
> But what can be done? There are limited amount of people to do the work
> on Lazarus. So it takes time.

IMO one thing should be done:

Split Lazarus into an Stable and an Featured/Experimental branch. Remove
all half-baked and troublesome features from the Stable branch, then
make the remainder work properly, and add the most reqired yet missing
features, step by step. Then base the Experimental branch (classes...)
on the Stable branch, respecting *all* determined stability requirements.

IMO too much time and efforts is spent in new features and eye candy,
while other features are blocked by bad design of essential classes, and
the project members do not allow for the required downstripping.

DoDi