[Lazarus] New Help System & Viewer - sneak preview

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:18:27 CEST 2009

2009/10/1 Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl>:
> - What is the time to load the LCL index file and merge it with the FCL and
>   RTL files?

I haven't managed to generate INF files for RTL, LCL or FCL yet, but I
took 7 of the largest files from the IBM Visage C++ for OS/2 cd-rom.
Copied them to my hard drive so the CD-ROM speed doesn't affect the
timing. I also used EpikTimer to do the timing from start of loading,
to end of displaying the complete "merged" TOC.

-------------------
$ ../src/units/helpviewer
cppclsug.inf+cppvbref.inf+cppvbug.inf+evfeclsh.hlp+gpi3.inf+pm2.inf+pm3.inf
Elapsed time:   000:00:00:00.177130

So that's not bad. :-) 0.177 milliseconds to load 10.3MB of help and
display the TOC to the user. In total, that was 13,197 topics (pages
of help) and 45,397 dictionary lookup words (each individual file
dictionary added to the next - the global dictionary should have only
unique words).

  - Graeme -