[Lazarus] Lazaruz User Group in France

jpnuage at free.fr jpnuage at free.fr
Sun Oct 18 09:33:36 CEST 2009

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Geoffray wrote:
>
>> Hi the list...
>>
>> You probably don't know me but I'm for years a Lazarus fan.
>>
>> I have to prepare a conference for February 2010 in my LUG. The main
>> theme is
>> to give a good idea of what are Lazarus and Free Pascal with technical
>> demonstration. This is the easy part... The public will be mainly
>> Delphi users
>> (including companies) that want to move from Delphi to Free Pascal.
>> So I need
>> help with details about which problems they can meet, the solutions,
>> supported
>> feature, and not (yet) supported ones...
>
> Having ported/developed some applications, the main problems when
> porting are IMHO:
>
> a) They should not expect to find the same components in Lazarus as in
> Delphi.
> (This concerns mostly DB components, web components. GUI is mostly
> covered)
>
> b) Third-party components are usually not usable.
> (unless that company supports FPC, which is unlikely)
>
> c) Cross-platform development means:
> - No Windows API. (e.g. the registry).
> - SizeOf(integer)<>SizeOf(Pointer)!
> - No assembler
>
> And under no circumstances promote '1 source for both Delphi/Lazarus'
> because that is a recipe for problems :(
+1: I agree so much on that. Port the code to Lazarus, and then stay
there, currently! It's very possible to have back-end (no GUI)
components that are delphi- and lazarus- compatible, but then you're
forgoing some of the advanced goodies of Delphi OR Lazarus/FPC, like
operator overloading and generics (improperly called class templates).
Also the COM work is, for the moment, harder in Lazarus/FPC, although
possible, as well as dynamic package loading.

Honestly, I wish it were different. Some components like GlScene I would
love to have compatibility Delphi/Lazarus, but it seems so difficult.

IMHO, It would be a very good idea to have a tutorial, targeted to
professional IT guys:
- on porting graphics,
- on porting interfaces to Office,
- on doing dynamic package loading,
- on porting DB-related code,
- etc.

I would be ready to help on the first point, as I'm doing the exercise
right now for TDrawObject, as well as the second and third, also.

This is a very good initiative, by the way.

Good luck,
Thierry