[Lazarus] Has somebody tried using some GExperts with Lazarus?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 22:54:22 CEST 2009

2009/10/17 Thierry Coq <tcoq at free.fr>:
> you are most helpful! I saw indeed many improvements over the Delphi
> environment, and I would certainly not exchange Lazarus for Eclipse!

For more nice features of Lazarus IDE, please take a look at the
following wiki page.

  http://wiki.freepascal.org/New_IDE_features_since

> Also I tend to use "macros" within the Delphi, but I already code quite fast
> within Lazarus, so is this needed?

I'm not quite sure what "marcos" you are talking about. But I use
Lazarus's code templates a lot. Combine the basic code templates with
the Macros feature it supports, I have created quite powerful code
templates that write complete class interfaces definitions of me.

  "Environment > Code Templates" menu option

> I also used the "debug" window sending the messages to the screen, but in
> Lazarus I use the "logger", so it's probably not useful as much.

Somebody mentioned it a while back to me, but I haven't tried it yet.
Lazarus has some "external debug monitor" application. This allows you
to use an external monitor program to view debug info while your
application is running. I already use something like this in tiOPF,
and it is very useful. I have no idea how the Lazarus one compares
though.

> The ASCII chart is helpful, from time to time ;-)

 "Edit > Insert from Character Map" menu option.

> in Lazarus already! But in my case, I was using Delphi in conjunction with a
> UML tool (Modelmaker), and I quite liked the integration!

I have heard somebody mention they are working on a UML integration
plug-in for Lazarus. So idea if the project has been started and if so
how far they are.
But since I stumbled upon the small application called UMLet, I have
not used any other UML designer. UMLet allows the user to very quickly
design UML diagrams with no popup dialogs in sight - an awesome little
tool.

As for ModelMaker - personally, I am not a fan of such two-way design
tools. That means sometimes I generate code in the IDE and sometimes I
have to switch to ModelMaker to generate "ModelMaker managed" code
from there. I prefer one tool for writing my code - the IDE.

  http://www.umlet.com

  - Graeme -