[Lazarus] Request for student project ideas

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 13 10:22:20 CEST 2009

Alexander Klenin schrieb:

>> I would ask to implement modern delphi language features like:
>> - anonymous methods
>> - for-in loop
>> - class constructors and destructors
>> - support for strict private and strict protected sections
>> - abstract and sealed classes
>> - class const, class var, class type, class property
>>
>> Anyway, sooner or later delphi developers will use them more and more and
>> there will be a need to port that code to fpc.
>
> These are obvious candidates for me too, but although they are good projects,
> they are rather hard -- for advanced students only.

ACK, all these tasks required deep insight into the existing compiler
code and data structures :-(

Perhaps a somewhat simpler goal: add the new Attributes syntax to the
parser, and check for possible implementations. I don't understand the
hype and problems with these new attributes - is it really more than
adding an Attributes:TStrings property to TObject?

And another one: an Oberon front-end for FPC! {$mode OBERON}
The language should be close enough to Pascal, so that the
implementation of the parser should not be a big deal. More difficult:
the interface to the existing compiler.
There is much room for sub-projects, like garbage collection.

The same for other languages (Java, C...). Wouldn't it be nice to have a
C front-end or {$MODE C} for opening the world of existing C code (at
least: header files) to FPC? See my ToPas project on SourceForge, that
implements an preprocessor and parser for C, written in Delphi OPL - it
could be extended by an interface to the FPC compiler.

DoDi