[Lazarus] Request for student project ideas

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Sep 15 16:09:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 03:22:37PM +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> >> Codegear goes where the public opinion goes, to sell. However the slavish
> >> following by a lot of the forummembers continues to surprise me.
> >
> > Like I told Hans-Peter, I have not heard about a single case where C#
> > developers move camp to Object Pascal (Delphi) language. The opposite
> > seems much more popular. With saying that, I see no point in copying the
> > C# syntax in the Object Pascal language.
>
> Do you see points in inventing a different syntax, only for the sake of
> being different?

The "only" is your emphasis, not mine.

But more importantly, if you really agree with this, we must really urgently
put all modifiers and other information in front of the declaration. Since
otherwise.... we could be different!

So the point is not the syntax, but the placing, and in similar cases we put
it after. If it is put after you can at least say "It is like C# but
everything is always after the declaration", while now it is "It is like C#
if C# had it before Pascal added it and the date was 2009 or later, and
after it otherwise".

So IMHO there is not even other syntax, just placing.

... and to answer the original question straight up: if something is added
to Pascal, first it should fit with Pascal, and only then with other
languages that sport totally different parsing models. Not the other way
around.