[Lazarus] Request for student project ideas

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 17:17:29 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort schrieb:

>> Then you don't want to use any of the many C libraries, out there? Like
>> lex, yacc, regexp, zip, SVN...
>
> We can already statically link to C code, so what exactly is the point?
> True, header converting is pain, but a blessing compared with the amount of
> work to maintain a fullblown C compiler.

What extra work do you mean?

A compiler front-end translates the source code into an internal format,
from which the back-end generates the executable code.

> Moreover it would be a feeble shade of a compiler to compile a handful of
> libs only, and you get tons of maintenance work in return. All the C parsing
> and implementation oddities, GCC compatibility issues, tools preparation
> ( autoconf etc), libraries etc.

The ToPas C preprocessor and parser has been tested for MSVC and gcc
compatibility. Configure is a problem on Windows; I used to configure C
libraries on linux, then compiled the result on Windows. No further
problems encountered so far.

DoDi