[Lazarus] Astronomy App

Moshe Berlin mosheberlin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 02:18:46 CEST 2009

I'm interested in participating -

mail121 at habarbadi.com

________________________________
From: Terry A. Haimann <terry at HaimannOnline.com>
To: Lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:53:52 PM
Subject: [Lazarus] Astronomy App

A few years ago, I wrote an app  in Delphi to record my progress on
observing the Messier
List ( an astronomical observing challenge). The program has
several very useful reports:

* Rise and Set Report, which lists objects (all, seen, or unseen) and
then sorts the output on how many hours the object will be up when the
sun isn't.  You may also select a specific constellation.

* Standard Report, which lists if, when, and where an object was
observed.  This is useful  for applying  for observing certificates
from the Astronomical League.  I turned mine in and was awarded the
Messier Certificate without any complaints from the AL.  It also can
export the data to csv, which can easily be imported to  Calc or most
other spreadsheets.

* Statistics report, which was an excuse for me to play around with bar
& pie charts.

The data is kept in a MySQL Database, which allows me to keep multiple
databases.  I am currently working on my Herschel 400 list, which is a
seperate database.  I have made an attempt to convert it to Lazarus and
it basically works, but could use some buffing and fluffing. There are
Windows and Mac apps that do this already, but none for Linux.

Would anyone else be interested in this?  Should I create a project for
this on SourceForge or what?