[Lazarus] exists "card game" library?

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Fri Sep 25 05:38:45 CEST 2009

waldo kitty wrote:
> i'm working on converting a TP6 "card game" application to FPC (to start
> with) and then to Lazarus for the graphical side... what i'm looking
> for, so as to not try to "recreate the wheel", is a "card object" such
> that i can create X "decks" of objects of 52 items with Y shuffle(s) of
> those X decks and/or similar... i have a method of keeping up with the
> decks and play but i'm looking for how to draw the cards and also be
> able to draw them fast... [see aside]
>
> [aside: i ran the original DOS TP6 version along side the FPC windows
> version and the original version ran at one "lost hand" per second or
> so... the speed differences are hugely astounding... one item of
> contention may be that the DOS version uses "direct screen writes" and
> not "OS" screen writes...]
>
> i need a way to select each card via mouse click or keyboard selection,
> add it to a "collection" that sums to one of a set of possible additions
> and then remove the selected cards to another card deck...
>
> i have the base program written in basic CP850 characters and
> "colorations" but have nothing specific for drawing "graphical cards on
> a card playing table"...

Interesting.  I'm working on a Texas Hold'em application.  This particular one
is nothing special, just a tutoring software to help new holdem players learn
how to recognize hands, count outs, percentage of hitting, pot odds, etc.

You'd think being a programmer I'd be fast in doing all that myself, but its
tough when there are so many /other/ things going on in a hand.  Considering
your hand, position, action in front of you, likely action in back of you,
patterns of betting behavior all while counting your outs, etc.  I figured if I
could get so good at doing to the point of not having to think about it, I'd do
it more naturally at the table.  Seems to work so I'm packaging it up as a small
shareware app for people just starting to learn holdem.  I've only been playing
for about six month, but 4 weeks of playing with this software even in its
earlier, rough form made a big difference.  Now I have more time to concentrate
on the other players.

Anywho, I ran across this very nice library/components for Delphi that seems to
be pretty extensive.  I ended up implementing the hand (and possible hand)
parsing  routines myself for the experience, but this looks very interesting.  I
believe it handles display of the cards as well, something else I did on my own,
but probably can save you some time.

http://charlesappel.home.mindspring.com/wcpkste.html

--
Warm Regards,