[Lazarus] New feature - View same source in multiple Windows

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Apr 8 17:47:56 CEST 2010

On 08/04/2010 16:40, David W Noon wrote:
>> you mean having 2 tabs with the same source, in just one window?
>> It can be added, but I though it wasn't needed (since you can only
>> view one of them at any time)
>>
> This also raises the question as to whether both tabs should be updated
> when the users modifies the source, or if one tab should be kept as
> history.  If the latter, there would need to be a "synchronize" option
> to bring the history up to date when the user no longer needs the older
> version.
>
> Having two or more potential sources of modification for a single file
> poses all kinds of issues about consistency, unless they are
> intrinsically synchronized internally.

There is only one document internally => So both tabs are updated
synchronously.

Type in one, and you will see the changes happen in both.
Make changes in one, go to the other, and press undo => it will undo the
changes you made in the other tab => since the changes where made to the
document, and since both editors share the same document.

If anyone wants to keep a "history", that is what (IMHO) backups are
for. save to a backup file, and open the backup file.

Best Regards
Martin