[Lazarus] [BIDI] TGrid and many bugs if i add Right To Left

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 11:11:10 CEST 2010

Zaher Dirkey schrieb:

> Some time i feel the same, but all open source project have the same
> problem for add official Right To Left, and many of them refuse to add
> the BIDI to it, i have old experience with some PHP forum, the core team
> of Lazaurs make it offical bidi and always accept my patches and that
> enough to, may be take a long time, but all features need the same time.

One problem may be the extent of BiDi support, that is unknown to most
(western) developers. E.g. I even don't know how to enter RTL text, so
that all related code should be implemented and checked by people that
are familiar with RTL applications and environment.

Does there exist a list of things that should change in RTL mode?

Newer Windows systems have an API for rendering full Unicode text,
including an mix of LTR and RTL parts. Do there exist similar libraries
for other platforms or widgetsets (Qt???)? If yes, these libraries
should be explored and a compatible wrapper (class) should be
constructed, for immediate use in most components (SynEdit may be an
exception). If not, an API must be defined first, and then the platform
specific libraries must be implemented accordingly.

But there seem to exist more issues with RTL, like the rows in a grid
running from right to left? Such behaviour can be tested by everybody,
at least by faking RTL mode to make the different appearance occur.

> Sorry for my poor English, i am writing in English as like writing
> programming code :)

Does there exist a Wiki (Wikipedia?) entry, that describes *all*
required changes in BiDi/RTL mode?

DoDi