[Lazarus] Making sense of Lazarus snapshots

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 01:39:59 CEST 2010

On 10 August 2010 23:09, Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

>  On 10/08/2010 22:51, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> When I look at the Lazarus snapshots page I see:
>>
>> Lazarus
>> Lazarus fixes
>> Lazarus 09.28.3
>> Lazarus 09.28.3 fixes
>> Lazarus fixes+ fpc 2.4.0
>> Lazarus + fpc 2.4.0
>> Lazarus + fpc 2.4.3
>>
>> Does that mean that the current version of Lazarus is 0.9.29 using fpc
>> 2.5.1, with backports to 0.9.28 as fixes, as well us code being modified to
>> be backwardly compatible with fpc 2.4.0 and 2.4.3?
>>
>> Is version 0.9.28 being actively developed for compatibility with fpc
>> 2.5.1, ie is the main compiler for 0.9.28 fpc 2.5.1?
>>

> I can see fixes only in combination with 0.9.28.3
> "fixes" simply indicates, that only selected fixes were added after the
> last release.
>
> You can deduct most from the version number:
> - even numbers are releases. they are fixed, do not change.
> - odd numbers  indicate development version. The same version may be a
> different product on any day
> - The 4th digit being odd, indicates "fixes" 0.9.28.ODD
>
> The last release was 0.9.28.2. Which was released with fpc 2.2.4 (but may
> work with newer fpc too)
> 0.9.28(.0) was the previous release.
> Since 0.9.28 and 0.9.28,2 are released, they do no longer change.
>
> 0.9.28.3 is the fixes version of this release. It contains selected fixes
> from the active development (sometimes also new features). If I read the SVN
> log correctly it was last updated in March.
>
> 0.9.29 is the active development, it changes daily, often more than one
> change on a day. It has all new features, all bug fixes that have been done,
> and may also have new bugs (happens sometimes). And it should compile with
> 2.5.1 (at least it does for me)
>
> As for the fpc version. The download page offers selected combinations. You
> can do separate downloads and use the desired version of Lazarus with a
> different fpc version. So long as it is at elast the minimum required.
>
> Martin

Do the fixes apply to the IDE itself, components or both, especially with
0.9.28.3?
Keeping up would be difficult if component/library changes depended on the
IDE changes to. I'd like to keep component changes separately from the IDE.

Is source code compatibility with fpc 2.4 a priority?

Frank Church