[Lazarus] Lazarus platform "popularity contest"

Ger Remmers ger-remmers at kc.rr.com
Thu Aug 12 10:27:38 CEST 2010

On Thursday 12 August 2010 02:37:28 Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> > To be brutally honest, I don't like any form of "ET, phone home" things
> > in a program.
> >
> > Why not?
> > Because it is nobodies business [how / if / what for] I or anybody else
> > uses the compiler.
>
> I agree with this. But we've to life with its downsides: We've no clue
> in what directions the compiler should be pushed. The mailing or bug
> lists are a bad indication for this: just imagine 90% of the users use a
> certain compiler package but never have problem with it, so no bug
> reports and no mailing list posts. So we decide, ok, let's dump this
> particular release type/package, it seems nobody is interested in it.
>
> It boils down to: you usually hear only form unsatisfied customers and
> seldomly from the satisfied.

I understand the frustration, but still..... No "ET, phone home" thingy
without approval of the user........ ever. And even then you'll have to be
very careful about what you want the system to report back.

Just keep in mind that MS has tried this a few times and every time they got
burned over it.

> > It has been put out there as open source, no strings attached.
>
> Actually free software ;)

Okay, agreed, but still.......

--
Regards