[Lazarus] FPC compiled from latest trunk says version is 2.4.0

Sérgio Miguel Neves Lopes knitter.is at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:29:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

> That is only a wrapper, and it then looks for a ppc386(.exe). So if your old ppc386 is in the path it may be found first.

From a small test, I think the path is the culprit, if I directly execute ppc386, it shows the correct version.

I would like to ask for some instructions on how to properly setup my environment so that I can use FPC from trunk and have it as the system compiler.

My steps so far were:

1) checkout fpc and lazarus
    'make all' on both using FPC 2.4.0 nightly builds
    'sudo make install' on both
    'fpc -help' shows version 2.4.0
    couldn't figure out why the new files were not overriding the old ones, nor why I couldn't see a '2.5.1' folder created under /usr/local/lib/fpc.

2) completely removed fpc from the system using the script in the OS X Tips page in the wiki
    downloaded fpc bootstramp and tried to convert the instruction given for Windows to OS X
    failed miserably :)
    remove all traces of fpc from my system

3) installed FPC 2.4.0 again
    recompiled with 'make clean all' on both checkouts (lazarus and fpc)
    installed fpc to a new location ( as stated in the previous emai) using 'make install INSTALL_PREFIX=~/Tools/local/freepascal/fpc/bin'

Now I have two pascal versions, but the newer one is not being install, before I go ahead and start changing path settings and whatnot, is there any other process or compile/install settings I should try?

As you can see, compiling and installing from source is not something I'm used to doing with this king of building/deployment tools :)

Regards,

Knitter