[Lazarus] TSplitter

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 21 13:43:29 CEST 2010

On 21.08.2010 12:03, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

>> wow... that doesn't seem "intuitive" at all :?
>
> That's exactly how splitters are used in Delphi.

This doesn't make it a single bit more intuitive, you just don't notice
it anymore. This is a common problem in software development.

I am a relatively new Lazarus user, I am completely unbiased and I am
not contaminated with Delphi knowledge and I have some experience in
rigorously testing user interfaces for ergonomics. The splitter usage
and behavior is a textbook example of how it should *not* be done, at
least not without the UI clearly communicating to the user *why* it is
suddenly deviating from *anything* that could be considered "expected
behavior" in such an extreme way.

This is not meant as a rant, this is meant as useful unbiased user feedback.

Bernd