[Lazarus] TSplitter

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Sat Aug 21 22:35:36 CEST 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:19:33 +0200 (CEST), Dimitri Smits

<smitco at telenet.be> wrote:

> Warning: probably off-topic

> And a final note on those designers in java: you can and always had the

> ability to use a NULL-Layout to use absolute layouting. That is the

closest

> to the way Delphi does it.

There is also the FormLayout in Swing and SWT, which is pretty close to

the anchors in Lazarus (don't know if recent Delphi version have them too,

Delphi 7 didn't). But it's still a PITA to use them. NetBeans has a pretty

sweet form designer, but nothing in the Java world I have used so far comes

close to what I could do with Delphi and Lazarus. I sometimes design UIs in

Lazarus just to port them to Java then, because it's much easier to play

around and actually *do* something in Lazarus than it is in any of the Java

IDEs. (That's actually even true for the code itself too. Java libraries

are so much split up into different kinds of abstraction layers, that

nearly no task can be done "just like that" ... there is not ".SaveToFile"

or something, you always have to create a whole tree of objects just to

pass through some data. Yeah, it's a very flexible design, but what the

hell?! I don't need flexibility in 95% of the cases, I need to get the job

done. Having flexibility as option? Sweet! Being forced to write the same

stuff over and over and over? Not so sweet ...)

</JavaRant>

Best Regards,

Andreas.

P.S.: Sorry for another off-topic mail