[Lazarus] filesystem timing Linux vs Win

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Dec 6 14:54:54 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:45:59AM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 27.11.2010 22:35, Florian Kl?mpfl wrote:
> > Am 27.11.2010 22:11, schrieb Sven Barth:
> >>
> >> [OT]Can I cross compile FPC for another target using the Makefile?
> >
> > e.g.
> > make clean all OS_TARGET=linux
> > ?
> >

> Would this create a compiler that can run on Linux if I do this on
> Windows? That's what I'm unsure about.

It will. You can even add CPU targets. I generated an entire lazarus for Mac
OS X/PowerPC on Windows.

But there are caveats:
- you must have suitable crossbinutils on Windows.
     Some are available on ftp in the /pub/fpc/contrib and
     /pub/fpc/contrib/cross directory
- non windows systems typically need any needed libraries on the compiling
   system. Simple programs for Linux and FreeBSD excluded.

The buildfaq contains a lot of background info on this.

> >> Does FPC use units (outside of compiler) that aren't part of the
> >> RTL?[/OT]
> >
> > No.
> >

> Nice :)

Not units, but on e.g. BeOS and OS X, it might use libraries. (like libc).
The rtl of these interfaces libc.