[Lazarus] Carbon vs Cocoa

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:32:29 CET 2010

Hi,

This is not strictly related to the Lazarus project, but I know here
are many Mac users, so I might get some good responses.

I bit the bullet and bought a new iMac (a marvel of beauty and
design). Now I would like to introduce true OS X support in fpGUI
Toolkit (instead of going via the Mac X11 backdoor). What API should I
use? Carbon or Cocoa? I know Carbon is limited to 32-bit only, but it
seems most of the OS X apps are 32-bit anyway, even though the
hardware is 64-bit capable. In fact, even the Darwin kernel boots the
32-bit kernel (only the OS X Server boots 64-bit kernel by default).
Saying that, it seems even though the kernel is 32-bit by default, OS
X still runs 64-bit apps on top of it - some hybrid 32/64-bit mix.

I know the Carbon bindings in FPC are pretty mature, and I have some
sample FPC+Carbon code which will help me greatly if I decide to go
the fpGUI+Carbon route. How are the Cocoa bindings with FPC?

In summary, what do you Mac developers suggest I use and why? Carbon or Cocoa?

  - Graeme -