[Lazarus] Lazarus and SPARC Solaris

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Dec 21 20:23:20 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:46:06AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> The packages in Solaris appear to be a strict subset of those in
> FreeBSD, missing aspell gdbint gmp graph gtk2 iconvenc librsvg libxml
> pxlib sdl users.

So those are the packages to test :-)

> Is this best discussed here, in one of the FPC lists, or as a bug report
> (and in that case against which project)?

I don't mind. Here is fine, if not too long (since iconvenc missing for
lazarus is the direct event that triggered this), otherwise fpc-devel would
be most appopriate.

> >> Noted. I don't have any immediate plans to fire up any BSDs.
> >
> > I meant that the packages that FreeBSD uses is roughly equal to
> > "general unix", as there are no BSD specific packages in packages/
> >
> > The same line from "linux" contains many linux specific packages.
>
> That was slightly tongue in cheek. I've got limited space in my workroom
> (plus limited UPS capacity etc.) and I'd find it far more difficult
> justifying to management putting time into BSD than into Solaris.

I don't care. The point is that looking at what FreeBSD implements is
roughly the subset implemented on all *nixes. The reason is that because
FreeBSD was the original model for the *nix rtl, but later many existing linux
specific calls, units and packages wree added.

So anything that FreeBSD implements that Solaris does (like above packages)
is worth looking into because:

1) they are at least portable enough between FreeBSD and Linux
2) they are not Linux specific, since also supported on FreeBSD
3) there are no FreeBSD specific packages.

There are gray areas like svgalib though.