[Lazarus] Christmas present for Windows lazarus developers : Memproof instaler 2.2MB

Peter E Williams pewtas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 17:25:31 CET 2010

Hi Marco and all,

see comments below

Fond Regards, Peter Eric WILLIAMS
--- Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
--- Phone: +61 (03) 6236-9675
My free websites are:  http://pewink.info   (&)
   http://pewslinuxvault.googlepages.com
My free blog is: patientxmarksthespot.wordpress.com

On 24 December 2010 22:39, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:11:20PM +0100, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > > Here is a link to Memproof_installer.zip (2.2MB).
> > >
> > [snip]
> > > Memproof will show all memory assignments and memory leaks. It will
> also jump to the line in your source code where the memory leak variable was
> created.

Yes, this is an excellent feature of it. You can watch all the variable and
constant allocations AS your program is being run from within memproof.

> > > You then need to decide where to call Free or FreeAndNil for the
> object(s) which you created and forgot to free, causing the memory leak(s).
> >
> > While it is a nice gesture to give presents, I don't see the practical
> use.
> > FPC contains this feature out of the box, you can just compile with -gl.

Is there a tutorial on how to use this? My application which I am currently
developing are for Lazarus not Free Pascal so I would need something which
has a GUI interface ?!? Or am I wrong?

> Afaik memproof (which is like AQTime-lite) needs explicitely debug format
> support, and that's why it doesn't work after D7. For decent traces it also
> required the TD32 debuginfo to be turned on, and I doubt it understands
> stabs or dwarf.

Yes, correct. You need to [ ] Optimization (uncheck) and [x] TD32 debug info
(check it) and there is probably another option also. Please install it and
read the help file.

stabs or dwarf are new technologies to me. I know nothing about these
things.
:(

I think that I will reinstall Delphi 5 Enterprise and Memproof on my Mint 10
computer with WINE 1.3 and see if it works.

PEW