[Lazarus] SVN user

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 00:09:05 CET 2010

On 30 December 2010 00:52, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

>  SVN supports for years (i.e. at least
> since version 1.0) the file:/// protocol.

The "repository" must still be created in a separate directory from
the "checked out" copy - thus to me that is just like having a
server/daemon setup. So to use SubVersion in a local environment via
the file:/// protocol you in fact have THREE copies of the source code
(shown listed below). No less effort that a full blown remote server
setup - and the reason I say they [file:/// and http:///] are the
same.

 1.  /path/to/repository   (created with svnadmin)
 2.  The checked out copy you can see (created with 'svn co')
 3.  The extra FULL copy in the many .svn hidden directories just so
svn can do diffs

Still a crap load more work and waist of diskspace compared to "the
forbidden Git".

For more detailed instructions on a SubVersion setup, see the following URL:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Subversion

  - Graeme -