[Lazarus] Sourceforge and Cuba

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:46:35 CET 2010

On 2 February 2010 20:02, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl> wrote:

> I think about adding the files on SF to
> ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases. The hard (time consuming)
> part is adding links to it.

It shouldn't be... In fact it will probably be less work than the
current process of publishing software on SourceForge.

With a ftp site you simply create a new release folder "v0.9.28.3" and
upload the various files into there. Update the "current" symbolic
link. Done! You only need one link on the website.

  ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/current

"current" will always be a symbolic link to the latest release. At
this moment it will be:

  ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/v0.9.28.3/

The developers can browse "current" and simply download the binary
they need for their platform. This process has been done for years by
just about everybody. For one, most Linux distros release new versions
like that.

Not to mention that the FTP protocol is faster than HTTP, so download
speeds should be better too, and have the possibility of reliably
resuming a download if your internet connection fail.

As far as I know the already available download binaries are correctly
named indicating what it is and for what target or platform, so
nothing needs to change there either.

  - Graeme -