[Lazarus] Sourceforge and Cuba

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Wed Feb 3 09:53:12 CET 2010

Many projects, as Lazarus, use Sourceforge only for downloads. I suppose
that there are two main reasons:
1) Visibility (People search software in SF)
2) Save bandwidth from their own servers. If a project becomes popular
and many people downloads it, SF has resources and specialized systems
for downloads (a lot of bandwidth and many balanced servers).

Of course, I think that hosting files in your own servers is a good
alternative , I proposed another server like http://www.gna.org because
I supposed that you were using SF in order to save bandwidth. If you
don't care to use your own servers, that is the best option.

By the way, showing a web page with a well organized the list of
downloads is necessary.   You can just upload the files in the right
directory and a simple program scans the directory and shows it
organized in a web page. I think it is not a good idea to show just a
minimalist list of files as browser show FTP list, it looks too amateur
even abandoned.

Santiago A.