[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 2: the content

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Feb 3 10:28:04 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 14:58 +0700, Bee Jay wrote:
> > The content pages, will have a navigation bar below the shrinked
> > header. The shrinked header will be static which will show the
> > appropriate slide in regard with the content being displayed.
>
> Here's my proposal for content page layout: http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/676/lazwebnewsubpage030210.png

Nice.

> The content area, between the link bar (toppest) and large footer bar,
> contains 2 section:
> - static content on the left pane with static header on the top.
> - dynamic content on the right pane with latest release info and
> download at the toppest, content navigation, and snapshot of some
> dynamic contents.

Few remarks:

The upper left bar 'Freepascal - the native cross platform compiler for
object pastal'

I think that this part should be the same throughout the whole site. It
tells people on which site they are, and on this site we shoudn't stress
the difference between FreePascal and Lazarus too much. So I would let
it show 'Lazarus - ....' just as on the home page.

The breathcrumb is fine, but I still don't know where I am, because
there is no 'freepascal' section anywhere. Shoudn't it be 'compiler'?
ie: Please use the same names in the menus, the sitemap below and the
breathcrumbs.

And I would like to see where I am on the sitemap below, so maybe
highlight 'The compiler' and 'Overview'?

And on the right, it shows 'in _this_ section'. Which section is that?
Maybe better to make it something like 'Other topic in the compiler
section'?

> The snapshot contents can be some of the following sources:
> - latest news update
> - random user testimonial
> - latest svn commit
> - recent forum topic
> - hottest forum topic
> - recent submitted contributed code
> - random screenshot
> - recent change of wiki
> - recent post of dev blog

I like the svn-line. Especially when you mention the latest release
date, people could think that nothing happens on the project since then.
Showing the latest svn-commit (which is rarely older then 24 hours) is
then a good idea.

Joost