[Lazarus] Name "Free Pascal Compiler & Lazarus"

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Feb 5 12:39:10 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:37:57PM +0200, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Even Delphi changed the language name from Object Pascal to Delphi, for
> marketing reasons and to avoid confusion.

It was mostly for trademark reasons I think, since "Object Pascal" is not
easily trademarked (since there was an ISO trajectory for it)

> Both Free Pascal Compiler and Lazarus are less known than Delphi and the
> name beast "Free Pascal Compiler & Lazarus" is confusing, really.

so are other combined systems, like "ruby" and "rails".

> Now I also realize how outdated the word "Free" in "Free Pascal Compiler"
> is.  In marketing sense it is not a good name.

If you want to argue marketing, then first take a step back, and define
current audience and the audience you want.