[Lazarus] GTK2 EraseBackgound

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 09:17:01 CET 2010

On 6 February 2010 01:43, JoshyFun <joshyfun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Every widgetset has its own pros/cons and most things can be done in
> all of them.

I can't argue that. :)

> The "problem" with LCL is that it inherits a lot of
> habits from Windows platforms

This is something I have experienced as well, so am glad to see others
are noticing the same thing. LCL is meant to be cross-platform, but
very often things are implemented base on how Windows works. Sometimes
that simply doesn't cut it for the other 5 widgetsets LCL also
supports.

My other problem with LCL (and this is a BIG one), is that to
implement anything new, you need to be well versed in ALL the
widgetsets LCL supports. That is near impossible. With LCL you can't
simply add a new feature/property to an existing component in pure LCL
code and expect it to work on all platforms. As you experienced, you
need to start learning about GTK1, GTK2, Qt, Carbon, Win32 etc., then
start fighting the native behaviour of each widgetset etc. And it's
not good enough just knowing something about the backend widgetsets,
you need to pretty much be an "expert" to get things working. This to
me is very counter productive.

Anyway, I'm getting totally off-topic here. Bottom line is, I don't
think what you want is possible in all backend widgetsets. This is
sad, because the "extra hint" / "inline hint" feature is very handy -
I use it often in our company projects showing required fields in a
data form etc.

  - Graeme -