[Lazarus] Unable to install components

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Feb 9 14:34:17 CET 2010

Zitat von ik <idokan at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 14:38, Osvaldo Filho <arquivostcf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu 9.10 64
>> Lazarus svn
>> FPC 2.4.1
>>
>> Problems:
>> - Need permission on /usr/share/lazarus
>> /usr/share/lazarus/components/codetools/codetoolsstrconsts.pas(280)
>> Error: Writing Resource String Table file:
>>
>> /usr/share/lazarus/components/codetools/units/x86_64-linux/codetoolsstrconsts.rst
>>
>> /usr/share/lazarus/components/fpcunit/ide/testcaseopts.pas(41,1)
>> Error: Can't create object file:
>> /usr/share/lazarus/components/fpcunit/ide/lib/x86_64-linux/testcaseopts.o
>>
>> Error: Can't create object file:
>> /usr/share/lazarus/components/printers/lib/x86_64-linux/gtk2/cupsdyn.o
>>

> Unless you change permissions to /usr/share/lazarus you will be unable to
> compile lazarus on that location unless you are root .

lazarus checks if the output directory is writable. If it is not
writable it uses ~/.lazarus/lib/<packagename>/...

Maybe you already changed the permissions, but then compiled as root?
In that case some files were created as root and can not be
overwritten as normal user.

Please fix the permissions of /usr/share/lazarus (including sub
directories). All files there should be owned by root and not writable
by normal users.

If you use lazarus svn, I recommend to put the svn into your home
directory (owned by your account). Otherwise your error reports will
easily confuse people.

>> - Why ?
>> /usr/share/lazarus/ide/lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit
>> codetools used by Lazarus
>>

> I guess it because it was never compiled to an objct/unit ...

Mattias