[Lazarus] TButtonedEdit

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:10:52 CET 2010

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> If you want just an edit with two buttons, descend from
> TCustomControl and create the edit and speedbuttons in its constructor.

Composite components only work up to a point, and Lazarus was never very
good with composite components. Both Bogusław and myself tried to port the
tiOPF GUI components (they are all composite) to LCL. It was a nightmare.
Focus was often incorrect, Form Designer couldn't handle them correctly,
and platform (widgetset) differences.

So no, I would not recommend composite components under Lazurus - even to
my enemy. :)

> You can set BorderStyle to bsNone for the edit, but I'm not sure if this
> works on all widgetsets.

One of many complications. That's why I suggested a custom drawn component,
implemented in only Object Pascal.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/