[Lazarus] fpGUI package

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Feb 13 11:36:25 CET 2010

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:25:07 +0200
patspiper <patspiper at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > I don't think so. You will probably have problems with Parent, Owner,
> > message loop, resource management etc.
> Can any of the lazarus devs shed some light here please? It would be
> ideal to have the best of both worlds.

Note: You will not get only the best of both world, but also the worst
of both worlds. That's not ideal.

The LCL expects as Parent a TWinControl and as children TControl.
You can write a TCustomControl to contain a non lcl control, but then
you are on the widgetset level, so will probably need one
implementation per widgetset.
I don't know the fpgui internals, so I can't say how difficult it is.

> > I've been meaning to start work
> > on LCL-fpGUI widgetset for Lazarus, but just don't seem to have the
> > time. LCL-fpGUI is not a high priority for me at this stage.
> >
> Where is Graeme #99 when you need him? :)
> > Felipe and others have reported how easy it will be to create a
> > LCL-fpGUI widgetset - compared to the effort of other widgetsets like
> > LCL-GTK2, LCL-Qt etc. Maybe somebody else can get the ball rolling and
> > I'll chip in where I can, or help with the fpGUI side of things. I
> > think something like LCL-fpGUI widgetset for Lazarus will be a
> > valuable addition for both projects.
> >
> I do not have a lot of time on my hands, but can nevertheless help
> provided I get a few tips (as in hints and not what waiters get).
>
> What components does fpGUI boast until now?
>
> You have done an excellent job with fpGUI. I hope it materializes
> someday as a full LCL widgetset.

Mattias