[Lazarus] Printing in Linux

petr.kristan at epos.cz petr.kristan at epos.cz
Mon Feb 15 09:23:57 CET 2010

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> I always hated that thing in VB.

Each one for there own. :)

> If you need to look at that to know where you are, maybe your procedures are
> too long. Here at work we use the following rule of thumb:
> a procedure may never be longer as 50 lines. If it is, it should be split out.

The feature is not exclusively for finding out where you are (that's just a
bonus), it's also used for navigation (jumping to a specific method's
implementation).

The navigation could also (possibly) be used to jump to inherited methods
or color code (say faded red) "abstract" methods that need to be
implemented. Simply select the "faded red" method, and CodeTools generates
the method implementation stub. Possibilities are endless. :-)

As for the length of procedures - I agree with your coding rule but on my
screen I can only see 35 lines of code, so clearly I need a bigger screen.
:-)  I'm using a widescreen LCD with standard 1440x900 resolution. See
attached screenshot for Lazarus IDE window layout I use. Any suggestions on
a better window layout? BTW: Bottom left "white" window is the Messages
window that actually spans the width of the IDE layout (currently partially
covered by the Source Editor).

Screenshot replaced with ascii art. You need a mono-font to view it correctly.

+------------------------------------+
|       Main Form                    |
|                                    |
+------------------------------------+