[Lazarus] Printing in Linux

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 15:59:18 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM,  <petr.kristan at epos.cz> wrote:
> Cairo library is multiplatform and renders into X11, Win32, PS, PDF, ...
> It do not depends on gtk.

Yes, but it adds an external dependency which would need to be
deployed with software that uses it, and Lazarus cannot impose such
restriction in everyone that uses it. That's why it would only be used
in LCL-Gtk2, as it already depends on Cairo

> What about to make TCairoCanvas and use it by default in LCL-Gtk2.
> IMHO generated postscript output should be better then TPoscriptCanvas
> makes.

We still need to hear other developers, but sure, I guess if you
implement a TCairoCanvas and contribute it, and it works better then
the current method, then it will be added and used for LCL-Gtk2. We
can keep the current postscript canvas for other UNIXes, even if after
that a Qt-specific method is added, because then it can be used for
other UNIX widgetsets that may be added one day (fpgui, for example)

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho