[Lazarus] Syntax highlighters for SynEdit

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Feb 17 10:52:02 CET 2010

Paul Ishenin wrote:
> 17.02.2010 16:26, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Note the file sizes. 115K for Pascal syntax highlighting, 79K for SQL,
>> 44K
>> for CSS, 38K for XML etc.  This is crazy!!!  I couldn't find any other
>> editor (that also supports syntax highlighting) with such large files.
>> Also
>> most other editors support external config files loaded at runtime.
>>
> Do you need a fast syntax highlighter with code folding support in a big
> unit or small unit with slow working highlighter which does not supports
> all the pascal syntax and no special features?

This is the key. Recently ( In the last 12 months anyway ) I've written a fairly complex highlighter
for a project I've been working on. The complexity of the highlighter mechanism in SynEdit really
seems to be in the extra features (like hierarchical folding, highlighting block pairs ... ) and speed.

Once you get your head around it, it all makes sense, but it can be a bit of a bear to get your head
around from scratch.

The highlighter does much more than simply highlight words and can be incredibly powerful if you
want to make it so.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them