[Lazarus] Lazarus book

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Feb 26 23:44:12 CET 2010

On 2/26/2010 17:20, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 26 February 2010 18:35, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>>
>> yay!! how far off is the english version?? any idea on the price? i much
>> prefer a real book to pdf cr4p ;)
>

> I'm hoping for an English edition too (and will by it simply because
> I'm a Lazarus user),

i want to be more of a user than i am now... currently, i spend most of my time
with laz just reading this list :? this/a book specific to laz will be a huge
help to me... i've just not had any luck/fun with the delphi stuff that i have
found and that mainly because they say to drag X here but X doesn't exist in laz
or has a different name/icon/whatever :?

> but I can imagine it's a lot of work. Jorg
> already told me how much work the current German book was and that it
> was almost cancelled at one stage.
>
> I'm glad to see it finally made it to print! Congrats to all the authors.

same here!

> As for PDF books... I hope to one day get a Kindle DX or similar
> device - I can actually see myself reading on e-Ink screens and a
> device that is portable, light and similar size to a A4 page. I
> probably have 30-40 programming eBooks, but never read them simply
> because it's wasteful printing them, and I hate reading on standard
> computer monitors or laptops.

not to mention that you can't drag your whole machine into the "library" with
you for a reading session :P  myself? i want the book open on my lap/desk while
i work with what i'm doing... in this way, i can use a hiliter to hilite the
important parts as well as easier follow along with what i'm doing...

you should see my 1986 "Using Turbo Pascal" by Steve Wood, my 1987 "Complete
Turbo Pascal (2nd edition)" by Jeff Duntemann and my 1993 "Mastering Turbo
Pascal 6 (4th edition, 3rd printing)" by Tom Swan... they all carry numerous
bookmark tabs and hilited entries in them :P