[Lazarus] Installing lazarus with fpc 2.4.0

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sat Jan 2 14:32:23 CET 2010

On lauantai, 2. tammikuuta 2010 06:34:58 Doug Chamberlin wrote:
> IntelliAdmin Support wrote:
> > If you already have Lazarus installed, you can simply install the new
> > compiler, with the sources...then launch Lazarus. Go to tools, and
> > build Lazarus. After the build is finished you should be working with
> > the new compiler
>
> OK, I get that. But I don't have Lazarus already installed and I don't
> really want to install it with an older fpc version.
>
> I'm wondering if Lazarus can be installed without also including an fpc
> install at the same time. Seems like a logical thing to have it be
> separate. Or at least an option. But that does not appear to be available.

FPC and Lazarus are separate installations. However, Lazarus needs FPC and
your distro's package manager takes care of that dependency. You can install
the old FPC now and update it when the new packages are available. Things are
easy with package managers.

In another mail you wrote that you plan to "commit to FPC and Lazarus". Then
you need the latest development version from SVN.
The Lazarus SVN version is very easy to get and build. You could start with
that. Installing the devel version of FPC needs little more effort but not too
much (now that I have learned it).

Regards,
Juha Manninen