[Lazarus] [fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.4.0 released

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 2 21:39:55 CET 2010

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:19:05 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote about Re:
[Lazarus] [fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.4.0 released:

> 2010/1/2 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
> >
> > I think that directory names with spaces are still very uncommon on
> > unix.
> >

> Not on the system I maintain. :-)  But in general I think you are
> right, though I don't know why. Mac and Windows OS's prove it is very
> successful and doable.

I think that usage of the command line for creating directories is the
reason.  To create a directory with one or more spaces in its name
requires that the space(s) be escaped with a backslash or the name be
enclosed in either apostrophes or quotes,  However, the possibility
should always be catered for.

The upshot is that I always wrap environment variables in quotes (not
apostrophes!) if they represent path/file names in scripts.  It is
simply "best practice" in a modern context.

Dave  [RLU #314465]