[Lazarus] Network connections

SteveG steveg at nevets.com.au
Sun Jan 3 14:23:58 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>> I ran into a problem because the directory I was installing from contained
>> an embedded space in the name.
>>
>> It really should be documented as a requirement to not have embedded
>

> I'm just amazed that such issues still come up!  Just about very file
> system being used in today's OSes can handle spaces in file and
> directory names. Applications should really KNOW that they must be
> able to handle such cases.

IMO the problems arise from command lines and scripts, not from
application code itself, because there spaces are treated as separators
between arguments.

Whenever the interpretation of a command line is involved, the rules for
proper markup of file or directory names with embedded spaces should be
followed. I only know the procedures on Windows, where such file names
have to be quoted - with all uncertainties in when to add and remove
such quotes in scripts or other commandline parsers. How do other
platforms or shells solve this issue?

DoDi