[Lazarus] Window body dragging

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 11:41:37 CET 2010

2010/1/3 Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:

> What's the expected result of this procedure? Nothing happens with the
> clicked window on my openSUSE/KDE, at least it doesn't move with the
> mouse.

It allows you to drag a window around on the desktop - just like you
can do with the title bar. The nice thing of
Left_Alt+Left_mousebutton_click is that you can drag and reposition
windows, even if you can't see the titlebar, and you can click
anywhere in that window.

> But the window manager seems to have entered some special state,

I don't know about that, but Left_Alt+Click has worked since (I'm
guessing here) the last 10+ years.

There are many other such options too:

* Left Alt + middle mouse button = resize a window while dragging the mouse.
  Resizing behaviour is based on where in the window you click.

* Left Alt + right mouse button = brings up the system menu

* etc..

Most if not all X11 window managers implement these features. It's one
of those "always been available" yet hidden to new users features -
similar to the select text and middle mouse click to paste (separate
clipboard is used compared to Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V)

  - Graeme -