[Lazarus] OpenSuse (was: Window body dragging)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:49:24 CET 2010

2010/1/5 Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi>:

> No, it has changed for OpenSuse. It is now either 1 CD or 1 DVD.

But I guess the OpenSuse 1 CD will be similar to Ubuntu. No
development packages are pre-installed, no TeX support by default
etc.. That means I can run Lazarus IDE, but I cannot compile and link
any projects. :-( Like I said, they price you pay for a smaller
download. With Ubuntu I need to download about another 200-300MB of
packages to get LaTeX and programming (linking) to work on such a
system. With SuSE 9.1 and Slackware 12 I did not have to download and
install anything extra.

> You need the bandwidth anyway. With DVD install you need it for downloading

We have a few Freedom Toasters in our area. I normally go there and
burn the DVD distros for free. Freedom Toaster is a touch screen kiosk
where you can get most Open Source software for free. Another
sub-project created by Mark Shuttleworth. Is Freedom Toasters
available in other countries too? I'm from South Africa.

  http://www.freedomtoaster.co.za/

> downloads can happen in background. It worked well for me. I have a 1 Mbit
> ADSL connection now but a slower one is OK, too.

Unfortunately, it's not about the speed for me (I have 3.7MB wireless
3G connection and get a avg 2 Mbit download speed), it's about the
data limit. I normally purchase a 500MB data bundle per month, though
last month I had to purchase a 2Gig data bundle, but such data bundles
are very expensive in South Africa.

Anyway, I'll have a look next time I visit the Freedom Toaster to see
if the OpenSuse DVD version is available. I think Ubuntu also has a
DVD edition now, I'll have to double check.

  - Graeme -