[Lazarus] Kylix 3 Open Edition

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:49:05 CET 2010

2010/1/5 Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:

> I'm interested in testing Kylix. What are the system requirements? Will it
> run on SuSE 8.2?

It should. From the K3 readme file it is certified for SuSE 7.3 - I
tried it with SuSE 9.0 without any issues. Even the GUI install ran
(which I think I have only managed 3 times since K3 was released). :)

> AFAIK Kylix and the applications require old kernels - or is it only the IDE
> that has problems with nowadays Linux?

I believe that problem is only related to the Kylix IDE, not to the
applications you create with Kylix. The IDE was some hybrid-WINE
application and close ties to the Linux kernel, not a native CLX app.
I guess that's a partial testament to how much faith Borland had in
CLX to not even use it for the IDE. If they did, CLX would probably
have been a lot more stable.

  - Graeme -