[Lazarus] OpenSuse

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 01:49:33 CET 2010

Juha Manninen schrieb:

> What could be your problem? Corrupted installation media?

No media problem. In the meantime I tried Ubuntu 9.10 and had it up and
running after a few minutes. A few minutes later I had downloaded and
installed the nVidia drivers, and configured my multi-monitor desktop.
The system also goes properly into standby. Only TV support didn't work,
no difference to Suse, seems to be a special hardware issue.

Encouraged by this success I tried Suse 11.2 again, what turned out as a
nightmare. After an hour of media check, configuring and installation I
got an desktop without display options. No chance to set the display
resolution, or multi-monitor support, and the desktop showed garbage
every now and then. No network connections, neither via USB-DSL nor
WLAN, only after I plugged in a network cable (across my room) I could
use the Internet. But even then I couldn't install the nVidia drivers,
the system went into text mode and was "confused" about something, and
finally blanked the screen :-(

The only good news: the multi-boot works, so that I can still boot 10.3.

In my next try I'll check Kubuntu, and consider to make it my new
working system.

DoDi