[Lazarus] Configure Installed Packages layout

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 15:15:57 CET 2010

Juha Manninen schrieb:

> Could someone please explain the visual layout of dialog:
>   Packages --> Configure Installed Packages
>
> Normal convention is to have list of available items on left side and list of
> selected items on right side. When an item gets selected, it moves from left
> to right. This dialog has it the other way around.

Many other dialogs (auto created forms, installed packages...) have the
actual content on the left, and a list of further available items on the
right. The same for Browse buttons, to the right of property value or
filename fields...

Real RTL readers should vote for swapping the lists depending on RTL/LTR
reading. I'm not sure whether they are pleased by a swapped display, and
whether the implementation is worth the related efforts (documentation...!)

Even RTL coders will be used to read and write source code from left to
right, so that they may prefer the same orientation in the IDE.

If the decision were so easy, every form (dialog...) could swap its
entire layout, depending on an R/L flag. But my idea of writing top down
in the Chinese version of my application was not appreciated by Chinese
users <g>.

DoDi