[Lazarus] lazarus.lpi

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Fri Jan 8 17:45:09 CET 2010

On tiistai, 5. tammikuuta 2010 15:52:13 Paul Ishenin wrote:
> Juha Manninen wrote:
> > How is one supposed to modify and debug Lazarus internals?
> >
> > Earlier I understood that the project lazarus.lpi is not meant for
> > debugging and hence its compiler options has "compile", "build" and "run"
> > turned off.
>
> Open lazarus.lpi and press F9 - this is what I do. It does not recompile
> anything (well, last month it recompiles codetools sometimes) - just
> launch another IDE in the debugger.
>
> > When changing the Build Lazarus dialog I included that unit in
> > lazarus.lpi, enabled the compiler options and debugged with it. I didn't
> > find any other way to do it (and didn't want to use command line GDB).
>
> Yes. It would be nice to have attach to process debugger command
> available in the IDE but currently lazarus does not have it althout gdb
> supports this and debugs rather well.

That works, good.
It also mostly solved my memory swapping problem. Less memory is used now and
things are snappy again. Only minor problem is that the development is not so
"RAD" any more when I need to compile from command line.

I noticed that sometimes when I try to inspect a variable by moving mouse over
it, codetools start allocating lots of memory and do something intensively. It
was a problem when my machine started swapping, now the delays are short. I
guess this is a known issue.

Juha Manninen