[Lazarus] Groundwork for Undo in Form Designer

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:39:44 CET 2010

2010/1/17 Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net>:
> I certainly don't want to look in some
> other repro. It's simply to much work.

[NOTE: I'm not starting another Git vs SubVersion thread, simply
explaining for general interest, the difference between a central
repository and a distributed repository workflow]

Actually Marc, it wouldn't be much more work than what you already
have to do by saving his patch from Mantis or his email, and then
having to work through the patch and apply it to your repository to
see it in action.

In the case of Git repositories (and probably other distributed SCM's
too), both your repository and his repository will have the same
development lines. Only differences would be your local changes and
his local changes. You would simply have to pull his branch containing
the new feature, which will bring back only patch information (not his
whole repository) and automatically create that same feature branch in
your repository (no reed to save the patch or apply it - Git does that
all for you). There will also be NO patch conflicts because his branch
would have the same parent in your repository (which normally predates
your local changes). You would then simply switch to that branch to
see his code or use 'gitk --all' to view his changes (commits) in that
feature branch (without switching your current branch). All this would
be accomplished with one single command: git pull
<his_repo_name_and_branch>

Hardly much work. But SubVersion being a central repository system,
developers only used to SubVersion would probably thing like you -
that a distributed SCM is a lot of extra work - which in fact it
actually is less effort.

  - Graeme -