[Lazarus] Groundwork for Undo in Form Designer

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Jan 17 18:57:02 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> 2010/1/17 Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net>:
>> I certainly don't want to look in some
>> other repro. It's simply to much work.
>
> [NOTE: I'm not starting another Git vs SubVersion thread, simply
> explaining for general interest, the difference between a central
> repository and a distributed repository workflow]

Talking about the amount of work is not talking about differences ;)

I still wonder why the DSCM advocates ignore the possibility of own
branches for everybody interested. No need to publish anything: it is
published; core developers know if something is committed; things can be
easily reviewed; nothing commited can be lost due to central backups; etc.

We can talk about a DSCM if the active number of personal branches
exeeds a certain
number (10?, 20?) but currently it causes only pain. And yes, I really
feel pain about
completely meaning and useless output like "Updating a3bdad8..fad6345".

> Hardly much work. But SubVersion being a central repository system,
> developers only used to SubVersion would probably thing like you -
> that a distributed SCM is a lot of extra work

For a small project, I tried once mercurial and learned that it is much
more work. One easily gets lost with all those cloned repositories none
being naturally canonical. All not mentioning the pain of line feed
handling: it felt worse than cvs and git isn't better in this regard:
nothing does prevent users from committing and pushing a full diff due
to f.... up line feeds.