[Lazarus] build modes

ik idokan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 09:47:11 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> 2010/1/17 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
>> ... and r350575..r350699 is still more
>> descriptive than some useless chars of a hash.
>
> Such a range on it's own in SubVersion would not mean anything to
> anybody either! You have no idea what exists (new feature, bug fix
> etc.) in that range. So how is that different to what Git uses?

I know how much happened, when I see some revision numbers, when seeing
an FPC revision number, I know approximatly by heart when it was
committed etc.

> This
> is exactly why I say sequential numbers is simply a mind game. Humans
> are attracted to sequential values - a feeling of order. But in SCM's
> they really don't tell you much either, without further context.

No, it's time saving: I can easily remember fpc svn revision numbers
when diffing, merging, fixing bugs etc. due to mnemonics: currently,
we're at 14xxx, so I need only to remember no more than three decimal
numbers.

> It's
> all a mind game. ;-)

So you use a text editor which doesn't number lines but calculated
hashes on them ;)? Great, shall I make an FPC patch for you:
my.pas(a56380bd3901,2c): Syntax error
;)?

It has a big advantage: even if you continued to edit the file in the
mean time, you get the correct line if it wasn't changed itself.

>> No, they cannot (well, they can if they are cankered, but not by
>> accident): just install a pre-commit hook and check if properties are
>> set, nobody can commit then with wrong line ending by accident due to
>> missing properties.
>
> So you agree then that out-of-the-box you can screw with SubVersion
> EOL handling and if not correctly setup it still can and does cause
> problems.

You make the fault once, then you setup the server properly and nobody
will make the fault anymore.

> If you wanted, you could also setup pre/post commit hooks in
> Git (or simply enable EOL handling built into Git).

But I cannot set up it for other developers. For SVN, I did it once 5
years ago on the FPC server and it works for 5 years now.

> If a developer blindly commits a file without first
> self reviewing what he/she changed, that is their bad habits - again
> don't blame the tool, blame the stupid developer!

1) A good tool helps me to do my work as convinent as possible and helps
me to prevent mistakes (that's also why we use pascal and not C: we know
that everybody makes faults and that's why we've e.g. range checking and
a nut picking compiler)
2) When adding a new file, reviewing doesn't help to prevent line feed
mistakes with git