[Lazarus] Groundwork for Undo in Form Designer

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon Jan 18 10:36:35 CET 2010

Alexander Klenin schrieb:
> I tried to stay away from the flame, but just could not resist, sorry ;-)
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:47, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Well, I don't wonder, you always tell us how great git is but at every
>> thing I look, it plainly sucks:
>
>> - git svn
> Well, I agree it is not the best part, I admit, but it sucks only slightly more
> then plain svn, since that is where most of "git svn"'s limitations come from.
>
>> - line feed handling (how can I do it failsafe?)
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/170961/whats-the-best-crlf-handling-strategy-with-git

Yes, most sounds like cvs and the rest is typical fanboy attitude: it's
not git's fault but a user fault.

> In short, set core.safecrlf=true in your gitconfig

So all other people get it automatically ;)?

> Most importantly, if you accidentally commit file with wrong line
> endings, you can fix that
> rather easily in git, nut with svn, you are screwed.

Well, usually one notices only if it is pushed/pulled.

>> - merging (how do I merge blocking?)
> That is meaningless concept in git, see e.g.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/612580/how-does-git-solve-the-merging-problem

See my mail to Graeme, then git simply does not fit into FPC's workflow.

>> - handling of empty directories
> Yes, that is a wart, but how many empty directories are there in
> Lazarus repository?
>
>> - tortoisegit (ever used tortoisesvn?)
> Not only used, but was an active contributor:
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/tortoisesvn/contributors?query=klenin&sort=commits&commit=Update
> However, I abandoned it in favor of git, and have no regrets ;-)
> I would recommend using built-in git tools (git gui and gitk) instead
> or tortoisegit.

I'am also a command line guy (remember, I still use the fpc text mode
ide), but I really like tortoisesvn.

> I used svn for many projects and still continue to use it for the projects
> that did not move on (that's three projects now, counting Lazarus).
> And I liked (and still do), but I found out that there is an even
> better alternative.
> Now, let me list some problems I have with svn:

DSCM's have their point but as long as they don't handle basic problems
of our (FPC in this case) workflow well, they are useless for us.