[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 09:49:29 CET 2010

Paul Ishenin wrote:

> My wish list - port innosetup (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php)
> which is written in delphi and is opensource project. We are using it
> for lazarus windows installs.

I know about inno setup, but never used it before. We didn't want to port
something because we wanted to think out-of-the-box and build it from the
ground up with cross-platform support in mind. Trying to make innosetup fit
into a *nix environment might just be as much effort as writing a setup
from scratch.

Also innosetup is Delphi based, so that is totally limited to Windows
platfroms only. When starting from scratch we already use cross-platform
features of FPC's RTL, so no need to try and work around the many Windows
API calls or Delphi specific features etc.. Porting is not always the
fastest way to get a app out.

But I must add, reading through the Key Features of inno setup, I already
found a few more ideas I would like to add to our setup wishlist.

Oh by the way, localization support is definitely a given in our setup.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/