[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:41:48 CET 2010

stoppok at muenster.de wrote:

> I'd recommend to use the same syntax as inno-setup.

By that you mean the *.iss file?
  eg: <lazarus>/tools/install/win/lazarus.iss

>   * fully documented

:-)  Our setup.xml is already full documented (yeah, programmers that
document. WTF??) and the elements used are pretty self describing.

>   * you can use the inno-setup editor (as long as you don't have one)

There are lots of XML editor too. But with FPC's support for XML, it should
be a half-day job writing a setup editor for the setup.xml file. So this is
 not really an issue.

>   * people are used to it

XML is a pretty popular standard, so hopefully they are used to xml files
too. ;-)

But I get want you mean. I'll take a look at the .iss file (which looks
like a standard INI file), but I quite like the idea of using xml files.
Just like Lazarus uses xml files for all it's settings. XML is pretty much
self describing, and you can create DTD's for them etc.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/