[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:59:09 CET 2010

On 20/01/2010, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you used it in the wrong way.
>  The "rpm" utility doesn't solve the dependencies, it's like the "dpkg"
>  utility from Debian.

Thanks. Mattias explained that I had a misunderstanding of how things
work. External tools do the download for the package management
systems. The latter simply does the install/uninstall of packages.

>  In Red Hat it should be some similar utility, I think "apt-get". In
>  Ubuntu it is Synaptic maybe? Don't remember exactly the name ...

Ubuntu used 'apt-get' for the command line and 'synaptic' as a GUI.
Ubuntu being Debian based, it uses *.deb packages.

Red Hat I believe still uses *.rpm packages. 'yum' being the command
line download utility.

  - Graeme -