[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jan 21 05:46:50 CET 2010

On 1/20/2010 20:06, Phil Hess wrote:

> ----- "waldo kitty"<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>

>>> Another way OSS works is that you're not our mommy.
>>
>> and the other way around... we're not your mommy, either... the main
>> thing to
>> remember about OSS is there is no :( in OSS ;)
>>

> Waldo, I have no idea what that means. Hope it's something funny.

it is... plainly stated, there is no crying in OSS... you have everything
necessary to figure it out and make whatever changes you need/want for you usage ;)

> The subtext of what I'm saying is that this list seems more and more like a Linux club. Many of the ideas expressed here seem to start with Linux and end with Linux. That's fine if that's all you have and that's your audience. But then the poster sometimes makes the fatal error of assuming his ideas are universal. From my vantage point over in the Mac/Windows/Web app/iPhone OS universe, it can be a bit exasperating.

it is not a "*nix club" to be sure... not by a long shot... sure many ideas
appear to be rooted in *nix lingo but that's also a large audience and many of
the winwhatever stuff has already been addressed... for the most part, anyway ;)

> Part of this is probably related to the evolution of Lazarus more and more into the best tool for developing Linux apps (which is great) but maybe less and less the best tool for other platforms. And sure, that's no problem either, if that's the direction they want to take it.

this seems to be a misreading of the task and direction of those leading the
project where they see it needs to go for their desires of making Lazarus (and
FPC) available for as many platforms that are out there... the main goal, as i
see it, it to allow pascal coders to still use pascal for whatever platforms
they wish to code for and not have to learn other languages like C/C++,
java(script), perl, ruby, etc...

> Interestingly, FPC appears to going the other direction, producing compiler versions that are more and more targeted at specific platforms. Certainly for OS X and iPhone OS the new {$modeswitch objectivec1} is simply the most exciting thing I've seen in 10 years of using Macs.

this is also a mis-read... there is still a lot of work to be done to support
other platforms... granted, reading the list makes it appear that this or that
platform is the target but that's only due to that platform being under the eye
of the 'scope at that particular point in time...

FWIW: i'm an old TP/BP 6/7 coder and i'm still, after a year+, trying to wrap my
head around GUI coding as well as getting accustomed to the newer methods of
writing pascal code... yes, without any delphi knowledge or books... i've yet to
find a delphi book that reads easily enough for my tastes and has easy to follow
and understand examples... much less examples that are also easily adapted to
lazarus... especially with the differences, slight as they may be, between the
two...